Stripey mitts. Whipped these up a few weeks ago to use up some scraps of superwash wool, and keep my hands warm. I completely made up the pattern as I went and lucky me, they fit perfectly! We’ll see how long I can go before I lose one. (Speaking of losing mitts…I had been missing one of my Delicato mitts for awhile. Then I found it about a month ago…but I couldn’t remember what I did with the one that wasn’t lost. So I stashed the new-found one with some of my knitting stuff…and when I was digging through that spot yesterday, I realized they were both in there. Brilliant.)

Remember NaKniSweMo? Well…it only took 3 months, instead of one…but the Treeline Striped Cardigan is FINISHED. I lost my momentum in November during the long plain stockinette portion of the body. Over xmas (when I couldn’t work on my sister’s mittens because of her presence!) I got through some of it while hanging out with the family. Then, a week ago…something possessed me. I knocked out the last few inches of the plain body section, and once I finished that, nothing could stop me. All day at work I would think about going home to whittle away at those raglan decreases. I waffled about knitting the collar as written, but I went with it.


Yarn: Cascade 220 – 2.5 skeins of navy, with Artfibers Tsuki carried along; just over 2 skeins of periwinkle.

Friday night I picked up the button band (which doesn’t have any buttons…so what do you call a buttonless button-band?). I stayed up until 1:30am doing a new bind off (the double crochet bind off), which was completely worth it. It has just the right amount of stretch, and it gives a slightly bolder line that stands out from the muddle of color from the stripes worked in 1×1 ribbing. It rounds off the corners and connects to the solid-color ribbing at the bottom of the sweater. I was excited to have it done, but that bind off just…MADE it.

My motivation (however fleeting it might be) toward finishing, rather than starting projects has continued over to Mystery Stole 3. I finished chart H and started I last night, and I’m feeling just as excited to continue tonight. I really want to start Muir with the orange Hello Yarn laceweight I got awhile back, but I absolutely refuse to start another big lace project before finishing MS3.

For February, I’ve joined Thing-a-Day. This is it’s second year running, and by signing up, you commit to making something each day – it could be anything – and posting about it on their site. My goal is to broaden my horizons in what I make each day…knitting everyday is a given, but I want to try more digital photography, cooking, and sketching, maybe even some writing. Some days, I’ll no doubt take the easy way out with knitting or spinning. It will also be a challenge for me to post every day about it. I’m thinking of doing weekly recaps on this blog, but if you happen to be interested in my daily updates, you can read them here starting February 1st.

Advertisements

I have been meaning to write this post all week, but my days have been busy.

I got a pretty good start with NaKniSweMo.  I am *this close* to finishing my second sleeve.  My goal was to have both sleeves done by Nov. 8, and they nearly were, but Wednesday and Thursday did not afford much knitting time, because of preparation for Pumpkin Dinner.  But tonight I intend to finish that other sleeve, and hopefully cast on for the body of the sweater.

In the meantime…here is the first completed sleeve:

I love the way the striping is coming out.  It’s amazing how there is no jog when knitting stripes that are only one row high!

I feel a little behind, but I haven’t lost all hope yet.  And if I fail, hopefully the sweater will at least be done by xmas.

I also got a good start on a sock for my uncle last Sunday…and had hardly any time to work on it again until today.  Here’s what I had done last week:

That is one pattern repeat, and I’ve just finished another one to complete the cuff.  Despite being umimpressed last time, I’m going to do a short row heel on these socks in hopes that they will fit better.  The pattern is Phineas.  The stitch pattern is extremely simple, created by knits and purls, and at first I was afraid it would look sloppy.  But I like how it is coming out, and I think after a washing it will look even better.  I’ve modified this pattern to be cuff down, instead of toe up, and I did 2×2 ribbing on the cuff, instead of twisted rib.

My new spindle from ButterflyGirl Designs came yesterday. I immediately started spinning some predrafted fiber that was laying around, even though I was tired.  At 1.3 oz, it is a bit different than a 3 oz. Louet, but with a little practice I’ll do fine.  After finishing a bit of singles, I tried Navajo plying for the first time, and it is awesome!  My single was not the most consistent thing in the world, but I am still amazed at this plying technique.  I think I am going to be doing a lot more spinning in the near future!  Which will, of course, make NaKniSweMo all that much harder.